Saturday, January 29, 2011

Non-painful Hard Lump In Neck

The address of a site to test the weight of a blog ... Too heavy? ...

A brief article on weight of our web pages: too heavy, and the drama! Our users do not have the patience to wait, and Google, which now takes into account this criterion, we also rotates back!

A site to test the weight of a web page: Webpagetest


Thanks to Pastelle , who has kindly pointed out a broken link in an article where I gave the address of a site to test the weight of the pages of a blog, I plunged back into the thorny issue of the weight of the pages of a blog: how to test his blog and how to alleviate its pages? (And needless to say, it's much harder to lighten a photo blog a blog ... text)
First, I found a new address of a site that achieves comprehensive test of the weight of our blogs: webpagetest site.

Test the weight of a url:

You enter a url, you specify a location for your site, then you click "start test". Do not hurry and go take a walk while waiting for results.
site pour tester le poids d'une page web
It's time to weigh ... Blog too heavy?

Analysis ... Enforcement of notes has to f!


This test site is in English, and the results are very comprehensive (too much for me ...) and quite difficult to interpret. In addition, it provides no comparative measurements. Besides those blogs that are not clean accommodation (blogs blogger canalblog, overblog ...), we can not control some things, but you will find load time on first reading your page, the time loading on second reading, and pie charts that tell you what elements of your blog that weigh heavy.
Top right, your site is rated from A to F on different criteria .

J'allège the weight of my blog! For months now

I deny the reality that my blog is too heavy, I know deep within me. Today, I decided to face my own blog. I entered the address in this test site ... Result: Much too long to load! And even an F in the estimates!

not mistaken interpretation of my trucks are gadget blog subscribers , the javascript code associated with my registration XITI (statistical analysis) and ... Photos!
I do not want to delete my gadget or XITI subscribers. It remains for me only to try to lighten the weight of my articles themselves. (The gadgets are often significant weight.)

weight photos and link "Read more ..."

So I decided to change two things in my blog:
  • The display pictures in my articles:
I will now post my pictures smaller, and will have to click on the image to view at actual size. When inserting a picture in an article, makes a blogger compression. Photo weighs less heavy. Just click on it to view the photo in full size and better quality.

  • Other changes: more systematic use of the link "read more".
For months I hesitate to use this link " read more. Its use has several advantages: limit duplicate content in its blog and lighten the weight of its pages (in number of items equal to homepage).
This test weight my pages was little more that tipped the balance: now, I'll insert "read more" in almost all my articles.

Test before and after modification


course I tested the weight of my home page before and after the two changes the display of photos and the link "read more ...". Verdict: I have gained more than 2 seconds download time (which seems huge to me) and horrible F sat in ratings to the top has turned into a C. A little way ... but difficult to display photos too compressed into a photo blog!

This explains the small changes in the presentation of this blog ... And always follow tomorrow, after my first list of mistakes to avoid in his blog , 14 tips to optimize the referencing his blog (the weight of the pages is included.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment